It is no coincidence that the film Joker has left an enduring impression to most of us personally, especially to our culture at large. Like the protagonist Arthur Fleck, we too, want to find meaning and happiness in life, but when faced with the grim facts of reality, can relate to his grievances and more disturbingly, to aspects of his mental decline.
Today, our quest for self-discovery is dominated by endless forms of guidance from gurus, self-help books, fashionable politics, and buzz words which are gravely affecting our mental health – are we too, degenerating into madness? Although we’ve been clever at diagnosing the effects of some of our struggles, we’re also failing to understand their root causes.
Join us tackle the problem of mental health from the perspective of philosophy, by drawing parallels between the Joker and the underlying ideologies that motivate the conventional beliefs we subscribe to every day. In an intensive, 5-hour workshop split over two days, we will discover how to use philosophy to protect our lives from descending into parody and instead, guide us towards building a life that we can be the proud authors of.
Who should attend?
If you want to discover the root cause of mental health and how it affects your quest for self-discovery; if the dominant ideas, books or courses you’ve been taking are giving you a mere injection of short-range motivation, without any scientific principles to follow – then this workshop is for you. It is designed for individuals who want to think and challenge their preconceived notions.
During this workshop you will discover:
- The unexpected ways each of us is similar to Arthur Fleck and why many of the popular ideas that are prevalent in our culture today are responsible.
- How the mind of a mentally unhealthy vs. the mentally healthy person works from a philosophical/psychological/biological perspective, and how this radically challenges our conventional understanding of these concepts.
- Case studies of how we’ve been misled by many of the most popular, best-selling, and dominant schools in personal development (through different mediums such as online lectures, books, ted-talks, podcasts etc), and why their claims on how to achieve mental health and happiness are in truth, silently contributing to a pandemic of madness, destroying our capacity to be happy.
- How the human mind gains knowledge and how this process affects our mental apparatus.
- How to identify the unique challenges we individually face in our personal lives (whether in our careers or relationships) by chronicling the life of Arthur Fleck. Through this technique, Arthur will serve as an avatar to help us learn lessons about what we should avoid doing when we are faced with challenges, and what we ought to do instead.
- The science behind the way our minds interact with reality, and why many current fashionable philosophies that seem attractive at first glance, are in fact at the root of our mental degradation.
- Where the appropriate place for emotions and imagination should be in our lives and what the consequences are if we misuse them.
- How to protect ourselves against pseudo-science and seemingly harmless ideas in self-help psychology by detecting where they err in their interpretation of existence and consciousness. This will show us how to arm ourselves against the rise of villains and destructive ideologies.
Duration: Full day
Buy tickets for:
The Madness Of Joker: An investigation of self-discovery and mental health.
AED 780.00 Standard price
Once the payment is made, the confirmation notice will be sent to the client via email within 24 hours of receipt of payment.